Monday 2 October 2023

Fitting An Aerial To Our New Motorhome

 


We have just invested in our first motorhome.  An Elddis Autoquest 115.  It is a lovely little 2 berth van, less than 6m long but surprisingly roomy inside.

Of course, our first thought was to get a radio in it.  The problem is, where to mount an aerial?  The vast majority of the body work is not metal, so getting a ground plane is tricky.  I saw a video on YouTube showing a way to do it and decided to have a go.

Basically, the aerial is fitted on the passenger door.  Linda finds it difficult to get in and out this way, so this door won't be opened that much.  Nevertheless, I didn't want wires hanging around.

The mount I decided on was the Diamond K415.  This has 3 axis adjustment.  Perfect for the job.  


I chose the Sharman MC-4MT cable kit to go with it.  This is available in a couple of cable lengths and I decided on 4m.




This has a reasonable tail to get over the door and appears to be well built.  The mount and tail look great from outside.  I needed to make sure that the aerial would not bounce on the bodywork when mobile, so I fitted it down the edge of the door slightly.




The main issue was to keep the cable neat with as minimal a loop into the cab as possible.  The loop has to be close to the hinges to keep it at a minimum length.

I had to think about this for a while but after some testing, I decided on holding the cable to the inside of the door lip using clear silicone.  This worked well and I used Blu-Tack to hold it in place until it set.




Spoiler: I still haven't removed the Blu-Tack ;)

The hardest part of this was having the patience to wait until the silicone set!  I was able to get the cable right down to dashboard level.  This did require copious amounts of Blu-Tack!




Getting the cable up the side of the pillar was really easy and made for a tidy job with only a small loop.




I fitted the radio in the pelmet shelf over the cab.  I had had a 12v point wired in ready and made for a safe and almost invisible installation.

I hope you found this post useful.  Let me know if you have done this and what solution you used.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for an interesting Blog Ian.... I have a similar Diamond mount for my Vauxhall Club Estate seen in videos in the field.... It may be something for the future but an awning could be nice on the side of the van for those warm and Balmy days and nights under the stars and it would make a great shelter to operate radio from.

    Love the blog and Blogs in general

    73
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian. The mount certainly seems to work well. An awning is one of the options we are looking at :)

      Delete
  2. Remove the power from the TV antenna when it's not in use, or terminate it when you remove the TV. In the presence of high RF fields the amplifiers in the antenna have a habit of going in to oscillation!

    I know this because there was/is a caravan storage place close to Gatwick Airport, and CAA complained to RA/Ofcom about interference in the aircraft band!! We managed to get the manager to go around all of the caravans and remove the inline fuse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I doubt we will use the TV aerial much but it's good to know :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Ian, first of all, congratulations on the motor home - a VERY nice thing to have indeed - many years of memory making ahead!

    Good job too on the installation. I always worry about three things in particular when doing stuff like that - making it neat, exceeding the bend radius of the coax and avoiding water ingress. Looks like you got it all covered.

    Hope you’re both well. Catch you soon.

    73, Tom.
    www.m7mcq.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom. It was an interesting install but has worked really well

      Delete