Sunday 2 July 2023

A RATHER BLUSTERY DAY!

 


Brian and I decided to brave the elements again this week.  The forecast was mixed but looked to be improving throughout the day. (Spoiler: it didn't!).

It was rather gusty and the wind followed the tree line, so we were afforded little respite.  Never mind, onward brave adventurers ;)

The bandhopper went up like a dream.  I really have the hang of it now and it takes no time at all.  The shelter was a different proposition :)

Linda suggested the shelter to me last week and we had a look for a suitable one.  We ended up with this one from Amazon



It all packs down into a 2ft long bag and I think once I have got the hang of it, it should be possible to erect it in under 5 minutes.  The ground sheet is good and strong and fitted via toggles.  The two short poles are built in and there is one long sectional pole to thread.  The poles are held together with an elasticated cord and they can be a bit of a pain until you realise that pushing in one direction is the way forward, rather than trying to pull them.  There is a short video on YouTube showing how to do it but it does not really show too much.

As. you can see above and in the short video below, there is enough room for a small table and chair.  You could probably get a table and two chairs if you knew the other person well enough ;)

It certainly worked.  The main shelter was pegged down with the supplied pegs and just to be sure, I guyed the shelter down with the 4 supplied guys.  Again, there is no instruction on how to do this but I attached them to the four loops on the shelter as it seemed to be the correct thing to do.  You can see one of them here..


It didn't blow away, so I guess I got it right :). For someone used to camping or other shelter/bivvy type tents, this would seem simple but to me, it was completely new.

In all, it took me about 20 minutes to erect this time but I know a lot more about it now.

As well as this, I have been looking at alternatives for logging for some time.  I have been using my phone with HAMRS so far and although this works really well, it means having the phone on a stand of some kind and renders it unusable for filming.

The previous week, Brian brought his Amazon Fire tablet with him.  What a brilliant idea!  I managed to get a refurbished one from Amazon at a good price and downloaded HAMRS on to it.  HAMRS is available on the Amazon App Store.

Now I found my first frustration!  The standard keyboard is large and even in portrait, covers the Save button.



The obvious thing to do was to find a smaller keyboard.  The only one I could find that allowed resizing was Gboard.  The only way to get this was to hack the tablet a bit and install the Google Play stuff.  This was surprisingly simple to do and I got Gboard and set it to its smallest size.  Now in portrait mode, I can get to the Save button easily.


Job done there then.

My next frustration was found almost immediately.  Neither keyboard gave be a 'Return' key.  They both appear to simply tab between fields.  I suppose that I could simply tap 'Save' but it was bugging me.  A good friend offered me a small Bluetooth keyboard to try.  As soon as I connected this, the internal keyboard vanished and I had a full screen app with a 'Return' key :). Now all I need to do is enter a callsign, let QRZ and HAMRS do their magic via my iPhone hotspot and hit 'Return' to log it.  result!


All in all, a really nice day out and we mostly managed to miss the rain.  I had *just* managed to get my gear away when the heavens opened!  Brian was not so lucky but we got his gear away with no issues and left feeling a bit damp but happy :)

The video is short but shows the shelter nicely.


73 Ian

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Shame about that darned rain. At least your car was very close by for a swift retreat, lol.

    I must get my “pop-up” tent out and give it a go up on Nicky Nook. We’re on holiday for 2 weeks in August so I’ll do it then.

    73, Tom.
    www.m7mcq.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. A rather blustery day sounds like a new Wallace and Grommit film!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. If everyone had their own, it was Winnie the Pooh :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ian, Nice Blog, I struggled to read it on my mobile phone but enjoyed the content..... Having been there I can say it was one of the more interesting days in the field with a strong wind gusting... I did not have the benefit of the tenty thing and just used the car as a windbreak..... The wind was not so bad in itself it was the chill factor which still cut through my TEE Shirt, Jumper, coat and eventually a blanket I threw over my shoulders...... All that to one side "A rather Blustery Day" was still an enjoyable experience and I hope we get many more before winter sets in....... I remember you out at Silverdale operating portable in glorious sunshine in NOVEMBER, so all is not lost!...... 73 Brian G0RDH

    ReplyDelete