Friday 30 June 2023

WHAT IS IT ABOUT FT8?

 

Anyone who knows me, knows that I enjoy computers, I like to connect my radio to a computer to simplify logging etc.  I have nothing against technology in general.  I have been in communications and IT for years, professionally.

It's not that I am against data modes.  I just don't understand the draw of FT8. 

I have tried it and I guess it's OK but it seems that the whole world and its canine companion is using FT8.  It's even invading VHF currently.  Looking at the waterfall, some people are using incredible amounts of power as well!

As a low signal mode, I can see the interest from  a propagation point of view.  It's like a 2 way version of WSPR I guess but other than that I fail to see the enjoyment.  I know people who have blown the finals on their radios by running them at full chat on FT8!  Why?  I mean, just why?  Where is the challenge?

What about running it at 1W, or maybe 100mW?  Of course, you might struggle at times to be heard through all the high power stations using double the bandwidth of everyone else, but at least it would be a challenge.  I just do not get it.  Linda used FT8 for 3 months on 20-30W and achieved DXCC without any difficulty.  It's all too easy.

This year, I am concentrating on CW, from home at least and trying to get contacts is a nightmare.  Now I appreciate that conditions are bad but getting contacts on SSB or CW is difficult.  It sometimes seems that every band is open with FT8 but nobody is listening on any other mode.

I put calls out for ages on several bands and I can see that the bands are open by the RBN reports on CW but I get very few responses.  In contrast, the FT8 frequencies are bouncing.  Does nobody want to chat anymore?  Are we becoming a hobby of computers talking to each other with us interacting occasionally?

Why not accept the challenge of SSB or CW on the HF bands?  If you can't get an aerial out at home, go mobile.  You can use a cheap end fed aerial and a battery, it doesn't have to cost a fortune.  Portable radio can be a lot of fun, especially if you have a friend to go with.  It's much more fun than watching a screen as well!

I am sorry if this came over as a bit of a rant and maybe it is the Grumpy Old Man starting to appear in me?  Maybe it is just me, I don't know.

I hope to work you on SSB/CW very soon and have a good chat :)

73 Ian


8 comments:

  1. It's not just you mate, I call and call on cw while watching the
    The ever increasing waterfall, its disheartening struggle for qsos while everyone is on data, its killing the amateur bands, and it's ever increasing. Maybe it's time to put yhe keys aside and go live in the data bubble :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Live and let live. Here's the good news. FT8 doesn't take up much bandwidth. They have a very small sandbox they limit too.

    Want to get more into SSB/CW? Try some Parks on the Air. Want conversations? Try some A.M.

    73 de KX5JT (my motto: Room for everyone on the bands!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment. I do indeed do POTA on both CW and SSB. We don't get quite the same activity over here on it though. I am with you on room for everyone. I am not complaining about FT8 in principle. It's not for me is all. Trying to get contacts over here is pretty painful at the moment though.

    73 Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday I have thought in the same way. No CW signals on 10 - 12 -18 - 21 meters. But on same bands in the FT8 portions a lot of stations making contacts. Even worse... many "unusuals" calls are easy to work it. I have enjoyed RTTY - Packet - PSK - JT but defitively FT8 is not own my way.
    73 Ian and I hope to copy you on any band (CW or SSB) - LU3MAM-L33M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ian, hope you and Linda are good.

    My view of FT8.FT4, etc is a little different to yours. I wrote about it a while ago…

    https://tommcquiggan.blogspot.com/2021/03/ft8-awards.html

    73, Tom, M7MCQ

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good read Tom. We are fine thanks and I hope you and Liana are both fine :). As I said, I have no issue with data modes as a whole. I don't even have an issue with FT8 if used as intended. It is a low power, low signal mode. It just seems that FT8 is the only mode at the moment. I spent 30 minutes calling CQ on the key yesterday, across the HF bands with zero response. I was being heard, as the RBN showed. Looking at the FT8 frequencies, they were all occupied with S9 signals. This is my frustration. Sometimes, you just have to let it out :)

    73 Ian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ian,
    Thank you for your FT8 post. I think FT8 is a very passive mode compared to SSB (I have no CW skills). BUT as a relatively new licensee I found it very useful in my early days on HF. Using PSK Reporter and later Grid Tracker, it really helped me understand propagation on the various bands and the differences and limitations of my two HF aerials, Offset wire dipole and multi-band vertical. The eQSL cards came in and I was fascinated by that. As I have gained more experience my opinion has changed. Apart from some specific challenges, I still have not had an FT8 QSO with Africa or Australia for example. I now find it rather boring just watch callsign after call sign scroll up and there seems to be little point in computer speaking unto computer just to log a contact you have really had no contact with. It is an interesting and I think it will be a long ongoing debate. That’s my three pen’ath for what it is worth.
    73 Peter M0PBF

    ReplyDelete
  8. Morse Code.

    Morse code is more than just a mode of communication, it's a rhythm that gets the heart pumping.

    My code is now all manual, no more electronic Keyer, it's either the Begali Intrepid bug key or my Begali blade straight key.

    I like to try and put my own fist style on my morse code. I try and get on the bands every day, if possible, even if it's only for one qso, morse code is addictive and is good for my mental health, quietens my thoughts.

    Headphones and a radio with a choice of keys and I'm in my happy place, nostalgic and always conjures up nice thoughts of past contacts with some great operators, I have been lucky in the past to have chatted with some gifted operators who sadly are no longer with us, it always makes me sad to think, our friends who have gone silent key, there ilk will never be heard again and their fist has gone quite forever, there used to be a saying "CW op's never die, they just QSB".

    It is important to join and engage with many groups, that way you will always have someone to chat to, I like nothing better than a good ragchew and this can be very therapeutic, and the good conversations we have are fondly remembered. I have never been a "599 73's" type of person, although there is a place for this, special events and DX-pedition’s.

    Contests have never appealed to me, ever! but activity days within clubs are worthy of participation, simply because you are engaging with your fellow club members, but these tend to be a call, name, QTH, membership Number and small greetings with your fellow club members.

    Other Modes.

    There is nothing wrong with trying other modes, and in the past I have tried Psk31, VaracHF, FT8,FT4, SSTV, Amtor, RTTY and others, but they never give the same feeling as morse code, morse code is an accomplishment and something ham radio operators should be proud of, yes it does take effort to learn and a good amount of time to be fluent, but once learned and your up to conversation speed the world becomes an increasingly smaller place and you can make "lifelong" friends along the way.

    FT8 the “Band Killer”, is a mode that has been taken to the extreme, some bands are void of morse signals but the FT8 waterfall continues to pour. I use the FT8 waterfall as a propagation indication, if the band is void of morse signals but the FT8 waterfall is visible, then the band is open to somewhere! Call CQ and find out where? I call CQ often.


    --
    Raymond Gilchrist:
    G0TUE

    ReplyDelete