Friday 12 May 2023

THE SLIDEWINDER EXTENSION MAST

 



A good friend of mine, Brian G0RDH, recently purchased a Slidewinder kit and added a new piece of kit, the Slidewinder Extension Mast.  This is a 1ft/300mm length of aluminium, threaded at one end and a 3/8 socket at the other.  I was interested to find out just what difference it made, if any.

It was a lovely day, so I set out to test it.  The results were definitely positive.  It is quite surprising just how much difference it made on some bands.

I did manage a short activation, working 4 stations on 20m CW, from Croatia to Barrow :)

Rather than cover everything in this post, I did make a video of my findings.  You will find it below and I hope you enjoy it.

CAVEAT - I made a huge mistake when looking at 10m in the video.  I should have removed the coil!  I blame age!


I will definitely be getting this to add to my Slidewinder setup.  I have not tested it on the tripod as yet, so more fun to be had there. :)

73 Ian

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ian, Nice day for going down to Redbank Farm.... Really pleased the extension Rod worked out well. Thank you for taking the time to film your experiments with the various antenna warts and all.

    It was a shame the camera misbehaved and we did not get to enjoy watching you on the key and when possible the Mic. that part of the video always works well and lets us see the results of your Labours.

    I look forward to seeing your next adventures as you Sota/Wainwrights on the air Pota and WFF.... It is inspiring.

    73
    Brian G0RDH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brian. There will be plenty of opportunities to see activations. These things happen. Thanks for taking the time to comment :)

    73 Ian

    ReplyDelete