Thursday 18 May 2023

CALLSIGNS, WHO AM I?


OK, this is a bit of a rant I guess.  I will try to be objective and start with basic stuff :)

The idea of a callsign is to identify the station transmitting.  To this end, we have a protocol that makes sense.

Always Give Your Own Callsign Last!
 

So, if you are in a QSO and passing the transmission and wish to give both callsigns, the format is 'To You From Me'

Therefore, if I was passing transmission to my dear wife, I would say

G0YLM, from G0VGS

I might even simplify it further by simply saying 

G0YLM, G0VGS.

She might then say, 

G0VGS, G0YLM

This confirms the owner of both callsigns.  I am G0VGS and she is G0YLM.  Simple and intuitive.  Think of it as a greetings card.  

To Ian, Happy Birthday, from Linda.

Of course, the only callsign you are required to give is your own.  In a net though, especially a 'round robin' style net, passing the transmission ensures that it is going to a specific station.

While we are on the subject of nets, ALWAYS pass it to a specific station!  If you are not sure who to pass it to, pass it to net control, or at least to the last person you heard.  NEVER throw it up in the air!  This only causes confusion and people start doubling with each other with the best intentions.

These are simple little 'rules' that can only help improve operating practices.


<rant>

OK, here goes!  Deep breath!

Something I have noticed recently and is really starting to annoy me are incomplete handovers.  People give your callsign and completely omit theirs!  Anyone listening will be totally confused by this!  I hear this on the start of an over and at the end too!

For example.  I pass it over to G7RXM..

G7RXM, G0VGS

He then says..

G0VGS

then carries on with his over.  So who is G0VGS?  Is it me or him?  I hear it at the end too.  G7RXM is passing it to G0VGS..

Over to you Ian, G0VGS...

I then reply

G7RXM, G0VGS

Again, who owns what callsign????  This is simply lazy and confusing.  Protocols are there for a reason and we should, for good operating practice, try to be as professional as possible.  It is truly annoying!!

</rant>

Maybe it is just me but it is only a simple little thing that can cause real confusion.  You would actually fail some professional exams for this kind of error.  Knowing who owns which callsign is a fundamental part of our hobby.  

73 de G0VGS

2 comments:

  1. I always thought of it as a transition of the speaker so will say indicating the speaker role is moving from current speaker to next speaker when doing the handover. The next person then confirms the transition by repeating the speaker transition that has just occurred.

    I'm new to amateur radio so was not aware of any particular etiquite regarding Nets. Certainly not covered in any of the licence training that I've been through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Farouq and thanks for the comment. The main thing to remember is that you always put your own callsign last. You are correct about not being in training these days but even amateurs who have been licensed for some time get it wrong!
    Generally, if in a QSO with one other amateur, the requirement for callsigns is not as critical as there are only the two of you but in a net it certainly becomes more important in my view.

    73 Ian

    ReplyDelete